August 27, 2009
By the numbers: Fast facts about health care jobs
Special to NWjobs
Now you know:
- Seven of the 20 fastest-growing occupations in the United States are health care-related. By 2016:
- Employment for home health care aides (including self-employment) is expected to skyrocket by 49 percent.
- Hiring opportunities for medical assistants should soar by 35 percent.
- Jobs for physical therapist assistants will increase by 32 percent.
- Demand for physician assistants will bump up by 27 percent.
By the numbers:
- 33: Jobs open and posted by Seattle/King County Public Health Department this week. Positions range from nurses to health care interpreters -- and pay from $19 to $69 hourly.
- 121: Jobs open and posted by Harborview Medical Center this week. Positions range from custodian and security officer to pharmacy and imaging.
- 219: Jobs open and posted by Evergreen Healthcare this week. Positions range from assistant controller in the administrative/business department to clinical dietitian.
- 14 million: Number of health care jobs filled in 2006 throughout the United States. Some 13.6 million of these are for wage and salary workers; another 438,000 jobs are self-employed health care providers. Health care is the largest employment industry in the country.
- 3 million: Volume of new wage and salary health care jobs expected between 2006 and 2016 -- a total greater than in any other industry.
This article was originally published in May 2008.
- career profile (175)
- cool jobs (88)
- education and training (70)
- entry level (73)
- etiquette (120)
- events (72)
- featured (523)
- finding your passion (102)
- health care (82)
- HR (70)
- interviewing (98)
- job fairs (69)
- management (119)
- market trends (94)
- networking (301)
- resumes (108)
- salary (95)
- social media (101)
- technology (131)
- work/life balance (100)