February 23, 2011
Entrepreneurs, unite! Can't-miss Biznik event this Thursday
For many new and veteran entrepreneurs, one of the biggest drawbacks of working solo is, well, working solo. Sure, it's great to finally be in control of where and when and for whom you work, but often that means working by your lonesome from your sofa, kitchen table, or spare bedroom with no one to talk to but your goldfish.
Yes, you might shoot the breeze with your fellow solo workers on Twitter or Facebook throughout the week. But trading a few tips and quips about the self-employed life while hunched over a laptop in your underwear doesn't compare to combing your hair, leaving the house, and having an actual face-to-face conversation with a real, live human being.
Seattle area solo workers longing to scratch that itch are in luck. This Thursday, February 24, Biznik, a Seattle startup that's blossomed into an award-winning web community of small business owners worldwide, will host a unique networking event for entrepreneurs, freelancers, and other self-employed types.
Called SHINE On, the event features a screening of the 24-minute film SHINE: The Entrepreneur's Journey, produced by Biznik, directed by Biznik co-founder Dan McComb, and featuring the stories of both everyday and household-name entrepreneurs, including iStockphoto founder Bruce Livingstone. Also promised for the evening: a group discussion about the film, light-hearted schmoozing, and general good cheer among self-employed peers.
Here's a trailer for the film:
If you can't make this week's SHINE On event, fear not. Several other options follow:
- Capitol Hill coworking facility Office Nomads will host a SHINE On event on Wednesday, March 16, at 6:30 p.m. Admission free; registration required. Details here.
- Bellevue meeting space The Loft will host a SHINE On event on Thursday, April 7, at 6:30 p.m. Admission free; registration required. Details here.
- A number of other SHINE On events have been scheduled around the country (including events in Bellingham and Portland). Details here.
- If you have the space to do it, you can host a SHINE On event of your own, right in your own neighborhood. Doing so is free and easy. Email Biznik community manager Matt Lawrence for details.
- Finally, if you can't wait for an event to see the movie, you can watch SHINE online any time.
Karen Burns is the author of The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl, a career guide based on her 59 jobs over 40 years in 22 cities.
Kristen Fife is a senior recruiter, career mentor, blogger and resume consultant based in the Seattle area.
Lisa Quast is a certified career coach, mentor, business consultant, former corporate executive and author based in the Seattle area.
Randy Woods writes about job-search tools, networking techniques and other tips to help you land your dream job.
Matt Youngquist is the president of Career Horizons, a career counseling firm.
Natalie Singer is a Seattle writer, editor and small-business owner.
Michelle Goodman is the author of "My So-Called Freelance Life" and "The Anti 9-to-5 Guide."
- career profile (169)
- cool jobs (74)
- education and training (63)
- entry level (70)
- etiquette (108)
- events (71)
- featured (442)
- finding your passion (98)
- health care (76)
- interviewing (91)
- job fairs (61)
- management (96)
- market trends (92)
- networking (286)
- resumes (103)
- salary (85)
- social media (94)
- technology (118)
- unemployment (57)
- work/life balance (93)